Relation between Explicit and ImplicitAttitudes
On the same continuum
- Some range of assessments we make of the attitude object
- If you have reason and opportunity you modify impact attitude, that leads to the explicit attitude Explicit attitude -->
censored, more socially appropriate implicit attitude. Only if you think you will be judged or viewed differently, also not if the
attitude if immediately present.
Activation of micro conceptual networks
- In both implicit and explicit attitudes, we are accessing bits or sets of information stored in memory somewhere. Collection of
bits of information, we can describe as micro conceptual network.
Potentiated Recruitment Model
- Mechanisms of appraisal or construal or whatever
-All these things are biased on prior experience with the object.
- Explicit attitude - deliberately and consciously bring things into working memory, evaluate and then report attitude
- Implicit attitude - very rapidly and unconsciously and weakly we access some subset of information/micro concepts from this
attitudinal cognitorium, then we chose from them to make our response.
Implicit attitudes do predict behaviour
- Look at correlation between implicit/explicit attitudes and behaviour, is the right one.
- Measuring attitudes towards racial group and have person of that racial group sitting in there, measure how many empty
chairs are left. (Reflects on attitude)
- Indication under certain circumstances, is a predictor of how people will respond to attitude object.
Better predict unconscious than deliberate behaviour
- Better when its not automatic, its just something you do.
Both implicit, explicit better predict behaviour when highly correlated
Extent of agreement between three kinds of attitudes
Intraatitudinal consistency - when affect/behaviour/cognition correlate Most comfortable when emotions match our beliefs
(about attitude object), which in turn match behaviours towards AO.
By changing affect, behaviour or cognition in isolation can change the attitude.
Trying to see whether unconscious manipulation of affect would change previously described attitude of something, via
-Asked number of questions, ranking general view on number of issues. Importance of different value systems, well educa