Psych 3CD3 Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Creating a Strong Leader: ProHitler Propaganda
• A series of clips glorifying Hitler and Germany
• This type of propaganda was useful in bolstering Hitler’s status as a strong leader
Time’s Man of the Year (1938)
• You have had the largest impact on the world than anyone else
• Awarded this award due to his strength as a leader
• Hitler must have had something going for him to garner so much support from his
• Fundamental attributional error applied
One Last Risk Factor
• Intervention by external bystanders must be unlikely
• What makes outside intervention unlikely?
o Levine et al.
o Costbenefit analysis
• Relevant theories?
o Automatic categorization and stereotyping
Illusory correlation, Dissonance reduction
o Old school prejudice theories
Explains anything involving violence
Conflict theory often an explanation for genocide
Social identity theory explains a threat to identity (scapegoat)
o Personality theories
Being more susceptible to aggressive ideas put forth by
government, Fscale, HINC
Obedience, Internalization, Bystander Intervention
• When selfinterest is pronounced, we are more likely to
o How can I tie genocide to each concept?
o PBS: Worse than War
Watch this documentary Think about how well the movie dovetails with our discussion of
Dealing with Atrocities
• After a genocide o