Where Are We Going?
• Where do we want to go?
• How do we get there?
What Did the Buddha do?
• Buddha was someone who succeeded in his goal
• Buddha spent a lot of time meditating, thinking about how the cycle of samsara
works in order to understand it and thus escape it.
• Buddha renounced the world
• Buddha’s method is still followed by many Buddhists today
• To achieve nirvana, follow Buddha’s method but that’s the only response.
The “Death” of the Buddha
• Dharma ▯word used to describe the Buddha’s teachings
• “Death” in quotation marks because he died and isn’t going to be reborn; he was
released from the cycle of samsara and was not going to be reborn again.
• When Buddha died, people thought getting out of the circle of samsara/ achieving
nirvana without the Buddha to help/teach you properly, to make sure you are
practicing it correctly was difficult, if not impossible for the people
• “Strive diligently for your own salvation”
The Buddha’s “first” birth as Sumedha
• The Buddha is a lot like us ▯stuck in the cycle of samsara until he found out how
to escape it.
• Buddha, a long time ago, decided to become a Buddha
• The decision was made when he was born for the first time as Sumedha
• As Sumedha, he came across another Buddha
• Sumedha is kneeling
• Sumedha was inspired by this past Buddha to become Buddha and was preparing
to become a Buddha is his lifetimes
• Each lifetime, he became incrementally closer to becoming Buddha and achieving
The Tigress Birth Story
• Buddha, in one of his former lives, saw a starving tigress that was about to eat her
• So he thre