Death and Dying 2M03E- September 23 , 2013.
-the way we think of the body impacts how we think of human beings
-we want to take care of ourselves- this is universal.
The Central Categories of Human Existence:
- Both space and time can be connected together.
- Essential to how we understand our lives/life
- We operate within an enforced view of these two
- Speaking and for thinking
- We find things out about each other and about ourselves by speaking
5. Sight (or gaze).
- “gaze”- different than just having your eyes ipen
- Means we all have a perspective on the things that we see in our lives
- Gaze is the way we strive to see things
- We like to think our gaze is truthful
The Gaze in Medicine
-A biomedicine gaze has defines the way we see the world
-the gaze in medicine connects the human body and gaze so it can protect it/keep it safe and
-attacks what threatens our bodies= protect our lives from our bodies.
-this medical gaze has changed the way we think of our bodies and what it is to be human.
The Replacement of Imagination with the Gaze
-we used to guess with medical problems. We’d use our imagination and guess what needs to
be done, not use the actual facts. (example: centuries ago treatment of headaches vs. today’s
treatment of headaches)
-we have now developed a factual site (clinical medicine)= we no longer use specular science
-we used to recognize that what we saw was connec