RELIG ST 2WW3- January 8 th
- Prayer, pilgrimage, sacrifice ways to bring about healing
WHO definition of health
- Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the
absence of disease or infirmity.
Why is healing a central concern of many religions?
- Illness pushes a person to the end of the familiar world.
- Challenges who you are
- Sees the world from a new perspective
- Frances burke: illness not disaster, but dangerous opportunity
- Critical illness arises questions about the meaning of life
- Healers frame illness in a meaningful context
- Basic assumption in many cultres is that bodily health is related to spiritual health/moral
- Physical health related to the relationship with higher being.
- Ex: Hinduism, related to karma
- In some Christian tradition, illness may be caused by a sin
- In Japanese cultures, ancestors may be responsible for causing an illness
- Because sickness and healing are so closely related to religious or moral concerns in
most cultures healers tend to involve religious specialists of one kind or another.
Film: Wondrous Healing
What are some of the sites of religious healing that are mentioned?
- Healing centers: aromatherapy, touch, prayer, crystals
- St.Anne de beaupre
What are the claims made about illness and health?
- Illness may be because stuff is misaligned in your life
- They can heal themselves, in charge of their bodies
- Health perfect harmony between body mind and spirit
- Healing takes place deep inside then physical health catches up
- We all can heal others
- Physicians move too quickly to silence the symptom before they deal with the reason
and spiritual things. - When people seek spiritual healing, even if they don’t get physical healing they still feel
better and can cope better because of healing insi