• Sociology : “Church,” “Denomination,” “Sect,” “Cult” all terms for different religious organizations.
• History : Cult refers to specific practices devoted to one deity or religious specialist / saint
(sacrificial cults where religions would sacrifice specific animals at a certain time).
• Culture : Usually a pejorative term to refer to marginalized religious group considered to be
dangerous (brainwashing) (ex. the moonies).
The McMaster Motto
Ta Panta En Christoi Synesteken (Greek - language of the new testament) translates to, All Things
Cohere in Christ. The logo has McMaster University’s crest. McMaster started as a Divinity College
(Christian Baptist Bible College).
15 “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 for in him all things in
heaven and on earth were created, things visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or
rulers or powers—all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He himself is before all
things, and in him all things hold together. 18 He is the head of the body, the church; he is the
beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that he might come to have first place in everything.
19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him God was pleased to
reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of
The Holy Bible: New Revised Standard Version. 1989 (Col 1:1520). Nashville: Thomas Nelson
• Romans began getting concerned because after Jesus was crucified, people started to look up to
Second Century Evaluations of Christianity (Tacitus)
• There is a group, hated for their abominations, called Christians by the people. Christus, from
whom the name comes, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of
one of our officials, Pontius Pilate.
• Rome - Tacitus Arch 82 C.E. - Romans carrying out a nine-branched menorah (candles) from the
jewish church that they pushed the Jewish out of and destroyed the temple.