For unlimited access to Class Notes, a Class+ subscription is required.
Started on: 25/02/2015 02:22:00
CLASS NOTES FOR: RELIGIOUS STUDIES
McMaster University, Winter 2015
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 25, Y
- Origins of the word: To follow (Ghadir, Nass, Isma, Ilm’, Immanate through Ahl- Al Bayt)
oALI THE FOURTH CALIPH.
- Imam Ali was appointed by the Prophet in Ghadir
-Mawla, for the Shi’as it means successor and master.
oDispute between Sunni and Shia because of the word Mawla
- The Shi’as did not recognize Abu Bakr, Omar and Uthman as successors.
- Characteristics of the Imam
oNass (divine appointment) - that God appoints his leaders
oIsma (infallible, meaning he does not commit errors, or sin)
o‘Ilm (knowledge, which is divine, given by God)
- For the Shi’as the leadership goes through the Ahl Al-Bayt;
Martyrdom at Karbala
Greatest stress on Martyrdom - due to Minority and Persecution
•Because Shi’as are a minority, they practice things to keep their beliefs
alive such as celebration of birthdays or deaths (mourning)
Flagellation of the Shia’s is protest against injustices,
•Majalis How it is used by Khomeini
Certain ways to mourn the Imams
The rights of Ali to succeed the prophet were taken away from him.
The origins of the difference between Shia’s and Sunnis go back to after the
Prophet passed away.
- Shia Islam is emotional.
oThere is a context of Martyrdom because of the “injustices” that occurred to Ali and
- For the Shi’as - Ali was the first Imam and did not recognize the Sunni imams
- The Shi’as believe in 12 Imams
oThe last one is believed to be in Occultation
oThe Imam is there, but you cannot see this.
oThe Shi’as expect a savior, it is accepted by Sunnis but it is mostly stressed in Shia’s
oFor the Shia’s the Mahdi has already been born and is occultation
oFor the Sunni’s he will be born
- Shi’ism looks more to the future than the past - the ideal past is not existent
-SAFAVID KINGS - Shadow of God - Ruled on Behalf of Imams
oSAFAVID (1501 - 1722)
o1501 in Iran
Angie © McMaster University