GEOGRAPHY OF CANADA
Winter 2014 Dr. W. G.
Assignment: Topic 2
Thinking Like a Teacher
Some students in this course might be contemplating a career in teaching. The goal of this
assignment is to ‘think like a teacher’ by preparing: (i) a rationale or justification for including
geography in the Ontario secondary school curriculum; (ii) a critical commentary on a specific
lecture given by Dr. Peace in this course (see below); and (iii) an outline of a lecture you would
give in a Geography of Canada course (see below).
Your written assignment will consist of three parts:
1. A rationale/justification for teaching the geography of Canada in Ontario high schools.
(Why should it be taught?).
Your rationale should be 1 ½ to 2 pages in length.
2. A critical commentary on one of the following lecture topics given in this course.
• The Peopling of the Americas (to be given around January 21)
• The Search for Truth in the Social Sciences/The Tradition of Regional
Geography (to be given around February 11)
Your critical commentary should be 1½ to 2 pages in length.
3. An outline of a lecture you would give on the topic of Canada’s human geography.
Include in your outline:
• a summary of ideas/themes you would cover in your lecture
• a statement of your goals – what would be the purpose of your lecture?; what
would you hope to achieve, i.e., what would be the learning outcome of your
• how will you present your ideas?; what methods would you use?
• suggested readings from the text (Bone) and at least three other sources.
Q: Faculty Documents/Peace/GEOG 2RC3 Geography of C