BIOL 1001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: C-Terminus, N-Terminus, Covalent Bond

61 views3 pages

Document Summary

3. 5 proteins and polymers composed of amino acids. Protei(cid:374)s: 50% of the orga(cid:374)i(cid:272) (cid:373)aterial i(cid:374) a(cid:374) a(cid:374)i(cid:373)al"s (cid:271)ody, (cid:448)aries i(cid:374) pla(cid:374)ts. Composed of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, and small amounts of other elements like sulphur. Amino acids are the monomers: common structures carbon atom is liked to an amino group and a carboxyl group, alpha-(cid:272)ar(cid:271)o(cid:374) is also liked to a hydroge(cid:374) ato(cid:373) ad a side (cid:272)hai(cid:374) (cid:862)r(cid:863) When dissolved in neutral water, the amino groups accept a hydrogen ion and is positive, while the carboxyl group loses a hydrogen and is negative: zwitterion: overall neutral molecule with a positive end and a negative end. 20 amino acids differ in structure of side chain: critical features of protein structure and function. Arrangements and chemical features of side chains cause proteins to fold and have 3d shapes. Amino acids may be specific to certain protein formations.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers