Geography
Course
GEOG 1050
Professor
Yolande Pottie- Sherman
Semester
Winter

Description
GEOG1050 032217 Globalization Through Three Registers Globalization Through Three Registers o We can get a better understanding of globalization by thinking of its I) economic, II) political, and III) cultural dimensions Register I: Economic Globalization o What is economic globalization? Characterized by increased integration and interdependence of production, trade, and investment across borders; facilitated by global financial institutions and corporations o So, when did all of this start? People, goods, and ideas have been flowing for a long time Smith: by creating international institutions to structure the global economy; have made it more liquid and lighter o How did Bretton Woods facilitate trade? Set up a global system of currency exchange: International Monetary Fund, Washington, D.C. Encouraged global investment through International Bank for ReconstructionandDevelopment;nowtheWorldBank,Washington,D.C. Reduced trade barriers via General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade, now the World Trade Organization, Geneva, Switzerland o What else is different now? Big changes to who produces what; how, and where things are produced Who o Rise of Multinational Corporations (MNCs) operate in multiple counties at a time What o More specialized products targeted to specific markets; services How o Shift to more flexible production o More subcontracting, i.e. Boeing 787 Dreamliner Airplanes
More Less

Related notes for GEOG 1050

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit