3 Pages
Unlock Document

Nipissing University
Child and Family Studies
ENSC 1005
Heather Kaye

Monday February 25, 2013 Wastes Solid waste – unwanted or discarded material that is not a liquid or has - Symptom of unnecessary waste of resources - Production of solid waste causes pollution and environmental degradation - North America produces about 1/3 of the world’s solid waste -> symptom of affluenza - 98.5% of solid waste produces indirectly to provide goods and services to meet needs and wants of consumers (mining, oil & natural gas production, agriculture, sewage sludge and industrial activities) - Remaining 1.5% of solid waste is municipal solid waste (MSW) or garbage - Paper products and organic matter make up most of the MSW in Canada - Electronic waste or e-waste (discarded TV sets, cellphones, computers) is the fastest growing solid waste problem in Canada Producing Less Waste & Pollution Options: 1) Waste management – high waste approach - Manages wastes in ways to decrease environmental impact (i.e. bury or burn) 2) Waste reduction/pollution prevention – low waste approach - There is no “away” to prevent problems from occurring - Solid waste is viewed as a potential resource hat we should reuse, recycle or compost - This option: 1) Saves energy 2) Saves resources 3) Reduces environmental impact 4) Decreases pollution control and waste management costs and future costs for toxic & hazardous materials 5) Improves worker health & safety 6) Less costly on life cycle basis - Classified according to 5 R’s: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rethink, also Recover (industries retain materials that would otherwise be wasted) Solutions: see FIG. 24.4, p.569 Methods to Reduce Waste & Pollution (Sustainability Six) 1) Decrease consumption – “do I need it” 2) Decrease material & energy to make product 3) Redesign manufacturing process product less waste and pollution 4) “Green design” and life cycle assessment in developing product 5) Increase product durability 6) Eliminate or reduce packaging - What can you do? See FIG. 24.5 Industrial Ecology Industrial ecology – Reduces waste by copying nature - In nature, wastes of one organism become nutrients for another organism so all of Earth’s matter is endlessly recycled -> ecoindustrial revolution - All industrial products and processes redesigned and integrated into closed systems of material flows - Goals: 1
More Less

Related notes for ENSC 1005

Log In


Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.