SOSC-4002 Lecture 1: Introduction to Gender and Social Change
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
SOSC 4002: Gender and Social Change
1. Introduction to Gender and Social Change
Evolving frameworks for understanding gender and globalizing societies
• Gender and status
• Global/masculine, local/feminine, public/private
• Women, labour, globalization and capitalism
Social scene perspective on sex and gender
• The construction of femininity
o Barbie - used to enforce women's role
o Reinforcing women's perceived values - constructing their identity around their appearance (ie. Cosmetics,
• Men and masculinities
o Barber shops - hyper masculine setting, becomes a social setting, more value being placed on men's
• Redefining, resisting and performing gender
Development: labour and equity
• In rural setting how do spheres of work affect peoples' social and economic positions?
• Is there potential for social economic mobility?
• How do the parameters of rural work relate to an urban context?
• Men and woman both work
Globalization, development and gender
• The making
The making of development
• What kind of institutional or organizational frameworks benefit women's
• Product d
Perspectives on gender and work
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version