Class Notes (973,703)
CA (573,506)
UBC Okanagan (1,249)
ENGL (29)
ENGL 153 (27)
Lecture 21

ENGL 153 Lecture 21: (April 3rd 2017) From the Graveyard of the Arousal Industry/ Marxism & Cultural Studies, Part 3
Premium

by OneClass1154221 , Winter 2017
3 Pages
Winter 2017

Department
English
Course Code
ENGL 153
Professor
George Grinnell
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
English 153
April 3rd, 2017
From the Graveyard of the Arousal Industry / Marxism & Cultural Studies Part 3
“I Was a Communist When I was a Kid”
How does From the Graveyard of the Arousal Industry work with some of these
ideas
Why does it do so?
Marxism as a Theory of Ideology
If society is unfair, why don’t people demand better? They often have and they
continue to do so!
Perhaps the unfairness of our social organization is not obvious for all to se. Marx
theorize that every society develops an ideology that explains “reality” and helps to
“reproduce of the modes of production,” which is to say, reproduce the status quo
Marx referred to ideology as “false consciousness” or the state of experiencing a
reality that excludes or distorts important details. It is as if there is a veil covering
reality
Ideology is a Narrative
Ideology is a narrative, but we have forgotten that it is a just a narrative. We
regularly mistake the narrative for “the natural order of things”
The directive that “hard work yields success” is an ideology that can ignore
complexities around opportunity and access
Patriarchy is an ideology that narrates a story about the natural superiority of men
and the subordination women
Standardized Tests embody an ideology that narrates a story about education is
something one attains (a measurable thing) rather than a capacity and desire to
learn
Ideology offers common sense propositions
We consume culture, whether this is in the form of Netflix, iTunes, books,
television, or going to movies; we have learnt that culture is made by others and we
”consume” it
oEx. English 153 teaches us we are all unique individuals with unique
perspectives of the world
How is Ideology Transmitted?
Culture expresses ideology, it is a vehicle for transmitting ideology; additionally, it
helps to ensure that the status quo remains as it is and that we do no have
revolution
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
English 153 April 3 2017 From the Graveyard of the Arousal Industry/ Marxism & Cultural Studies Part 3 “I Was a Communist When I was a Kid”  How does From the Graveyard of the Arousal Industry work with some of these ideas  Why does it do so? Marxism as a Theory of Ideology  If society is unfair, why don’t people demand better? They often have and they continue to do so!  Perhaps the unfairness of our social organization is not obvious for all to se. Marx theorize that every society develops an ideology that explains “reality” and helps to “reproduce of the modes of production,” which is to say, reproduce the status quo  Marx referred to ideology as “false consciousness” or the state of experiencing a reality that excludes or distorts important details. It is as if there is a veil covering reality Ideology is a Narrative  Ideology is a narrative, but we have forgotten that it is a just a narrative. We regularly mistake the narrative for “the natural order of things”  The directive that “hard work yields success” is an ideology that can ignore complexities around opportunity and access  Patriarchy is an ideology that narrates a story about the natural superiority of men and the subordination women  Standardized Tests embody an ideology that narrates a story about education is something one attains (a measurable thing) rather than a capacity and desire to learn  Ideology offers common sense propositions  We consume culture, whether this is in the form of Netflix, iTunes, books, television, or going to movies; we have learnt that culture is made by others and we ”consume” it o Ex. English 153 teaches us we are all unique individuals with unique perspectives of the world How is Ideology Transmitted?  Culture expresses ideology, it is a vehicle for transmitting ideology; additionally, it helps to ensure that the status quo remains as it is and that we do no have revolution o Television, Film, Media, Educational Institutions, Religion, Work, Social Practices and Conventions  Culture can be diversionary, it makes the status quo something we can endure and enjoy  Culture can be pedagogical, teaching us to understand the world in specific ways Justin Pearson is No Hero of the Working Classes about to Lead Them to Revolt  This is no a memoir that offers an ongoing narrative of a dawning class awareness and a desire for economic revolution  Rather than offer a sustained attack on the ideology of capitalism, his text examines a number of ideologies that pertain to his society and the world he grew up in  He recounts how he tries not to perpetuate social ideologies concerning sexism, drug abuse, gender identity, social limitations of class, the consumption of animals, what it means to be successful in life, his family’s history of abuse, and so on  These social norms might be abstract and out of our control, but we tend to experience them at a very personal level From the Graveyard of the Arousal Ind
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit