Architecture and Modernity

2 Pages

Department
Art History
Course Code
ARTH 306
Professor
Katherine Romba

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
ARTH306 Architecture and Modernity February 04, 2011 February 04, 2011 ARTH 306 Architecture and Modernity Lecture A) Political Changes a. North German Confederation i. Outcome of the Prussian-Austrian War ii. Excludes Austro-Hungarian Empire iii. Excludes southern German states is Bavaria, Wurttemberg iv. Also remained some independent territories and cities w/I North Germany v. First time there is a shared parliament b. Franco-Prussian War in 1870 i. Wanted Alsace-Lorraine – area rich in coal and iron ore ii. Bismarck who was strong Prussian leader nettles France iii. France declares war on them iv. Bismarck convinces Southern territories to unite and fight against the French v. Prussians win the war and now possess Alsace-Lorraine and Bavaria etc. c. German confederation i. Gained some things by joining ii. The states still have their own leaders and can control some things like education and culture B) Modernization a. Factories saw drastic growth and expansion by the turn of the century b. Larger companies – decentralization of the workplace – c. Smoke-stacks, pollution, and sprawling factories a sense of pride d. Department stores i. Palaces of commerce ii. Meant to cause excitement e. Growth in leisure time
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit