ARTH 306 (11)

Otto Wagner and Modern Architecture

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Queen's University
Art History
ARTH 306
Katherine Romba

ARTH306 Otto Wagner and Modern Architecture February 16, 2011 February 16, 2011 ARTH 306 Otto Wagner and Modern Architecture Lecture Modern Architecture by Otto Wagner – on reserve – good if doing the manifesto Bildungsbabarei – barbaric architecture A) Class development a. Bildungsburgertum – upper middle class valuing bildung i. Employed by civil service, the arts, university, learned profession requiring university education – lawyer, architect, professor etc. b. Besitzburgertum – the wealthy middle class – the property middle class – more sympathetic to industrial capitalism i. Employed as a manager, dptmt store owner, entrepreneur ii. A lot of overlap with Bildungsburgertum c. Mittelstand – lower middle class i. Employed in trades, skilled labourers, technicians, office workers, builders ii. Engage themselves in lifestyle reform so that can be like upper middle class B) OttoWagner a. Austrian b. Heavily influenced by German develops in architecture and in turn was himself influential on German architecture c. Educated in 1857-1860 in Vienna at an architecture school, then in Berlin a Bauakademie d. Aware of Schinkel’s ideas and other architects e. First worked as a private architect and then a professor at Academy of Fine Arts
More Less

Related notes for ARTH 306

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.