Economics (326)
ECON 110 (130)

ECON 110 Notes

18 Pages
Unlock Document

Queen's University
ECON 110
Ian James Cromb

Chapter 11 Imperfect Competition and Strategic Behaviour Market Structures -monopoly and perfect competition can be thought of as the 2 extremes of market structure -there are many kinds of market structure that lie between -these can be separated along many dimensions -number of firms -form of competition -over quantity -over price -over products -over product quality -over advertising or other “non-price” items -extent of innovation -raise interesting issues that tell us a lot about the kind of “competition” we see in our daily lives as consumers -one way of classifying or organizing these ideas Number of Firms? one a few many (free Monopoly Oligopoly entry) (Ch 10) (Ch 11) Products? different identical Monopolistic Perfect Competition Competition (Ch 11) (Ch 9) -other than perfect competition, all of these market structures can be thought of as forms of “imperfect competition” Monopolistic Competition -a market structure that contains some “monopoly” elements as well as some that are found in “perfect competition” -differentiated (heterogeneous) products -many firms and products that are best thought of as being in the same industry EXAMPLES: books, restaurants, clothing, etc. Assumptions of (Conditions for) Monopolistic Competition: 1. each firm is a monopolist in its own product 2. there are many close substitutes -firms take the existing number of products in the market and therefore the reactions of its rivals as a given 3. free entry/exit to the industry -firms must enter or exit with their product -each firm is a “price-maker” but an “other products-taker” Basic Analytics -market demand is divided among the various products (firms) according to what individual consumers think is their favourite product given the available alternatives -each individual firm’s demand depends on the price of its product, but also the availability of other products D i qi= f(pi, availability of other products) p i D i qi Short Run Equilibrium -in the short run, can have profits (p > ATC) or losses (ATC > p > AVC) as usual $ MC i pi SRAC i D i MR i qi qi -but with free entry/exit -profits cause entry -when a firm enters it brings its product -shift existing firms’ demand left -losses cause exit -when a firm exits, it takes its product -shift existing firms’ demand right Long Run Equilibrium -long run equilibrium satisfies the following: 1. must be a SR equ’m, i.e. MR(q i) = MC(q)i 2. firms must be cost minimizing, i.e. operating on LRAC 3. firms must be earning zero economic profits, i.e. i = AC(q)i $ LRAC i MC i pi Di MR i q i qi Characteristics of LR Equilibrium -at point 1 in the diagram: pi > MC(q), ipricing power like monopoly) pi = AC(q),i(π =0 like perfect competition) Monopolistic Comp. vs Perfect Comp. -a perfectly comp. firm would be operating at 2 in the diagram -the differences are: pi > min LRAC, (“excess capacity theorem”) -society is not obtaining output at the lowest possible cost? pi > MC(q), iDWL like monopoly?) Is Monopolistic Competition Really Inefficient? -short answer is that we can’t really say -some other possible production points Force Firms to 3 -eliminates DWL in the firms’ production levels -however, losses would require subsidies from the government to continue in operation -taxes to fund subsidies would cause DWL elsewhere in the economy Force Firms to 2 -price would lie above the firms’ demand curves -would require the elimination of some firms (shifting existing firms’ demands until they go through 2) -elimination of the firms implies elimination of the products, but product selection is valuable to consumers -so there is a tradeoff between standard efficiency and “product selection” efficiency (optimal number of products) -difficult to resolve without making ad hoc judgments about the relative weightings of these two ideas -it is doubtful whether the government can do any better than what the market produces in terms of the tradeoff Empirical Relevance of Monopolistic Comp. -there are many industries that have extensive product differentiation, but very few firms -detergents, chocolate bars, etc. -monop. comp. is not
More Less

Related notes for ECON 110

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.