The Importance of Being Earnest Lecture Notes

3 Pages

Department
English
Course Code
ENGL 100
Professor
Laura Murray

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde Comedy: a dramatic work that treats themes and characters with humour and usually has a happy ending. New Comedy: depends on outrageous plots, mistaken identities, young lovers and conniving servants Comedy of Manners: focuses on the manners and customs of society and directs its satire against characters who violate social conventions and rules of behavior. “…It sends wave of laughter… but as a text for criticism it is barren and delusive… what can a poor critic do with a play which raises no principle, whether of art or morals…and is nothing but an absolutely willful expression of an irrepressibly witty personality?” -William Archer, review of the first production 1895 For Wilde, the job of a critic is not to delve beneath the surface of art but to study that surface and its representations Inversion of Values -Smoking is the opposite of idleness: Lady Bracknell: [Pencil and note-book in hand.] I feel bound to tell you that you are not down on my list of eligible young men, although I have the same list as the dear Duchess of Bolton has. We work together, in fact. However, I am quite ready to enter your name, should your answers be what a really affectionate mother requires. Do you smoke? Jack: Well, yes, I must admit I smoke. Lady Bracknell: I am glad to hear it. A man should always have an occupation of some kind. There are far too many idle men in London as it is. How old are you? -Ignorance is good and education is dangerous Lady Bracknell: I am pleased to hear it. I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square. What is your income? Lying and Art - Gwendolen: Well, to speak with perfect candour, Cecily, I wish that you were fully forty-two, and more than usually plain for your age. Ernest has a strong upright nature. He is the very soul of truth and honour. Disloyalty would be as impossible to him as deception. But e
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit