Geography (408)
GPHY 101 (112)
Prof. (1)

W1 L2 Human Geo - Place.docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Queen's University
GPHY 101

Friday September 14, 2012 Human Geography Week one Lecture two The key concepts: PLACE - A much richer concept than location (a position in some sort of a spatial grid) - For a place to be a place, it must have meaning - It is in that sense that strip malls and box stores have been described as placeless - The meaning of place is linked to human experience Place involve a physical bounding (the classroom, the neighborhood); and a social bounding the interrelationships that explode and define physical space - As embodied being we exist in place and we experience the world through place and the interplay of out intelligence and our self The key concepts: SPACE - Another vitally important geographic concept - Space and place are often confounded - I keep places as the space of experience and space as the realm for comparisons and identifying spatial relationships - Space as I will use it in this course is a conceptual surface, like a map which can be used to locate and assess the proximity and intensity of phenomena: like relative wealth, health, economic activity, power or in the sciences: depth, light temp. soil quality, nature etc. - Surfaces can be multi-dimensional - The extension need not be merely physical The key co
More Less

Related notes for GPHY 101

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.