Colonies Made Republics
The Galeano Project:
• Make sure the vignette is on Middle America. Not on Quebec and US.
• Type out the vignette. The content must have a clear link with the vignette and the topic of the proposal.
• Something that has to do with women? Mujeres (“Women, collection of Galeano vignettes published in
The Last Supper:
Did the Gallilean Rebel Imagine He Would be a Slave Overseer?
On Cuba’s sugar plantations, the slaves do not suffer from neglect. The master redeems them by labor and
shortens their stay in this vale of tears; and the monks save them from hell. The Chruch receives…
• An xray of the late colonial period
• Search for a produit moteur (Pierre and Huguette Chaunu)
o Some kind of commodity that can be developed to make the colony prosperous
o Take a fertile environment and try to introduce something in this environment to make it
o E.g. Sugar cane – brought in in order to be a produit moteur.
o Chaunu – keep at the forefront your successful produit moteur. Must import good no how. E.g.
the man who handled the sugar mill is a French man. He has all the ‘knowhow’ it wasn’t a black
slave. Used to successfully motor the commodity.
o Chaunu – Cycles of boom and bust. Lots of experimentation. As one crop dies out another comes
up. Lots of commercial crops. Who benefits from the sale of those crops? Certainly not the
blacks cutting the cane.
• Imperial power beginning to wane
• Diverse ethnic landscape, race mixture producing ‘castas’ of all hues (mestizos, mulattos, zambos)
o Film gives lots of evidence of the race mixture
o Castas – Sense of miscegenation, the races mixing
o Mestizos – Europeans and Indigenous; often used in Guatemala as Ladinos
o Mulattos – Europeans and black population, lots of indigenous
o Zambos – Remnants of the Caribs mixing with the blacks from Africa. The Garifuna were
indigenous and black population
• Relationship between race and class
• The Count is not so disaffected (more concerned with his relationship with God, not the King) but other
criollos most decidedly were
o Criollos – person of European decent born in the new world. Parents are fullblooded Spaniards
but they are born in the New World. Lots of rivalries and
• Haiti, the first and only ‘Black Republic
o Agricultural engineer in charge
“Good British technology and more Blacks. Yes, we can meet the sugar harvest needs.
Still need more blacks to do all the heavy lifting. The blacks will out number.”
In SantoDomingo (Haiti) – the blacks outnumbered the Europeans and took over.
Spanish Flota System and the Middle American Colonial Space Economy:
• Map shows important trading system
• Silver from Peru
• Portobello – an old port
• Commodities connect with the ships that • Indigo
• All the commodities would go to Veracruz
• Shipped left Havana to go to Seville
• The British were always a thorn in the Spaniards side
• The C