Global Development Studies
Course
DEVS 100
Professor
Richard Greenfield
Semester
Winter

Description
Caroline Bond Critical Analysis Marx on Ideology Critique  Appearances are often deceiving  Ideology: presents a false idea o Ex: Big Mac Foucault on Discourse Analysis Discursive Regime: Linked systems of subjects objects, signifiers, and patterns of regularity  Everything is discourse and discourse is everything  Relations of power are ubiquitous (help, hinder, ignore)  Out of these systems, truths emerge (they are not hidden) o Relativism? o In relations to discourses o There are many of them (not just one)  There is always resistance and contestation  Therefore no one can claim to know ‘the truth’ as such Subject: that which does or says “I”… but not body  Entity and structure  Occupies subject position (student, teacher…)  Without language there are no subjects Object: takes on position of subjectivity with relation to the subject  Two kind of objects o Inanimate o Object from someone else’s view Nietzsche on Perspectivism  The idea of objectivity is ridiculous  Come to know your own values  enable to employ a variety of perspectives  Affect: embodied state of being or discourse  Each located subject will view an object in different ways based on what lenses or filters they have o Active nihilism is getting rid of those lenses and filters Perspectival Analysis example  The Harper Regime o Conservative liberal Feminism?  Anti-war student o Anti-colonial anarchist Feminism  Opposed to the in nation colonialism and across the sea  Not to become like the dominant order  One must reflect their own values  The values, history, affects and paradigms of other interpreters Caroline Bond  The object becomes blurry the more interpretations they have Foucault on Genealogical Analysis (How discourses Change)  The event is unexpected  Rehabilitation comes afterwards Analysis and Social Change 1. Official a. Apathy: what has allowed neoliberalism to proceed i. Most powerful b. Reform: I don’t want to change the system but change small things 2. Oppositional a. Resistance: try to evade the power b. Revolution: you want to take power 3. Outsider a. Creation of alternatives Radical: further from the dominant order Collins on Intersectional Analysis  De-centering dominant subjects, objects, practices, institution, values  Re-centering the marginal (now gendersexes, races,
More Less

Related notes for DEVS 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit