Confederation Lecture

4 Pages

Department
History
Course Code
HIST 124
Professor
Steven J Maynard

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Confederation and Its Discontents 11/19/2012 1:00:00 PM
I. The “Day of Humiliation” in Yarmouth, NS
People wearing black, procession in Yarmouth carrying the Ottawa
band playing Confederation songs in a jarring, non-harmonious
fashion
Banner says “Unity is Strength”, with 4 cats whose tails are tied
together. One cat (Nova Scotia) trying to untangle itself
Effigy of Tucker is set on fire along with a live rat
1841: Act of Union joins Upper and Lower Canada. One capital,
equal representation for East and West
A. Confederation as Liberal-Capitalist Moment
II. The Road to Confederation
A. Political Deadlock in the United Province of Canada
Equal representation between East and West Canada meant the
English and French constantly put themselves in deadlock
Issue of the capital came up 15 times in 15 years
o Started in Kingston, Montreal (where the English set it on
fire), moves between Quebec City and Toronto every year
from then on
o Assembly met no less than 200 times to decide
o 1859: settled the issue by moving the capital to Ottawa
B. George Brown, the Clear Grits, and „Rep by Pop‟
Editor of the Globe and leader of the True Grits
Had issue with Rep by Pop, and an extreme Francophobe
Did not like that Canada East had same seats as West, wanted
more seats for the West as they had more people
Mostly agrarian followers
Brown had his eye on Western expansion
C. The “Great Coalition”: Brown, Macdonald, Cartier
Cartier‟s Bleus and Macdonald‟s Conservatives merged together to
form the Conservative party of Canada
D. Britain: Unloading Colonial Burdens
E. The Three Confederation Conferences: Charlottetown, Quebec,

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Confederation and Its Discontents 11/19/2012 1:00:00 PM I. The “Day of Humiliation” in Yarmouth, NS  People wearing black, procession in Yarmouth carrying the Ottawa band playing Confederation songs in a jarring, non-harmonious fashion  Banner says “Unity is Strength”, with 4 cats whose tails are tied together. One cat (Nova Scotia) trying to untangle itself  Effigy of Tucker is set on fire along with a live rat  1841: Act of Union joins Upper and Lower Canada. One capital, equal representation for East and West A. Confederation as Liberal-Capitalist Moment II. The Road to Confederation A. Political Deadlock in the United Province of Canada  Equal representation between East and West Canada meant the English and French constantly put themselves in deadlock  Issue of the capital came up 15 times in 15 years o Started in Kingston, Montreal (where the English set it on fire), moves between Quebec City and Toronto every year from then on o Assembly met no less than 200 times to decide o 1859: settled the issue by moving the capital to Ottawa B. George Brown, the Clear Grits, and „Rep by Pop‟  Editor of the Globe and leader of the True Grits  Had issue with Rep by Pop, and an extreme Francophobe  Did not like that Canada East had same seats as West, wanted more seats for the West as they had more people  Mostly agrarian followers  Brown had his eye on Western expansion C. The “Great Coalition”: Brown, Macdonald, Cartier  Cartier‟s Bleus and Macdonald‟s Conservatives merged together to form the Conservative party of Canada D. Britain: Unloading Colonial Burdens E. The Three Confederation Conferences: Charlottetown, Quebec, London  Sept 1864 Charlottetown o Cradle of Confederation  Quebec Conference Oct 1864 o Britain send a message to each of the governor generals to tell them to make sure dominion happens. Britain fully supports confederation o Those who oppose confederation go to London but are turned away o London conference Dec 1866/Feb 1867  Turned into legislation British North America Act 1867 st  Made into law on July 1 1867 -> Canada is born III. Confederation as Economic/Class Strategy A. Saving Central Canada‟s Bacon  Canada was in a deadlock before confederation  Huge debt, building massive public infrastructure (Parliament and canal system)  On the verg
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit