History
Course
HIST 122
Professor
Amitava Chowdhury
Semester
Winter

Description
Lecture again (9 or something) Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:31 PM Announcements: 2. Identitybased violence - WWII outline will be on moodle - Research Essay Murder by miniaturization - Identity and violenceassignment - due date: - Religiouswarfare ○ Moved to Tuesday the 26th ○ The Crusades - Final Exam Review and Study Guide ○ 30 years war killed 11 millionpeople ○ Last class is exam review ○ Nigerian Civil War ○ Nothingon exam that isn't on the study guide  Muslimsvs Christians  3 milliondead Goals thisweek:  1967-1970 1. Explorethe meaning of personal and collective identityand understandhow our indivudual,social,and political - Religiouspersecution lives are fraught with issues of identiy ○ One group is too weak to wage a war 2. Examine formsof violencesparked by unitary interpretationsof identify  Mary Queen of England (Bloody Mary) 3. Choose specific case studiesto explore how 'miniaturization'of identityled to wide-scaleviolencein the 20th □ Persecuted the protestants ruthlessly century  Queen Elizabeth I □ KilledCatholics The plan:  Quakers 1. Conceptualizingidentity  German protestants persecuted in Germany 2. Identity-based violence  Revolutionary Mexicoand Soviet Union 3. Case study: The Holocaust □ Killednon-Atheists  Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia 1. Conceptualizing identity: □ Atheismis a crime - Ethnicviolence ○ Rwanda 1994 At home in the world…  Hutuswere the majority Philosophers say there are three fundamental questionswe must consider as human beings:  Tutsi minority - Who are we? As individualsand collectives…  Tutsistraditionallyheld power - What shouldwe do? (How shouldwe live our life,what is good,etc)  Expelled by the hutusin 1950s-1960s - How do we know what we know? (What is the basis of our acquisition of knowledge?)  Tutsismassacred by Hutusin 1994 Some theories…. - Racial constructionand hate grimes - Self-sameness over time: ○ KKK - A baby is born,and a baby grows into a child,into an adult,into death. There is nothingof the baby in the ○ etc adult. Yet, there is a sense of self-sameness that connectsthe baby, to adult. That sameness is our core - Sexual orientationviolence personal identity… It is drawn from the narrative of our life. - Gender violence - Personal Identity - Memory - the basis of personal identity - John Locke >Gender-based violence - Locke was one of the most importantphilosophersin the last 500 years - Woman as property - "I know who I am because I remember what I did." ○ If you considersomethingas property, you can do whatever you want - Our sense of self-sameness over time is drawn from memory of the past - Englishcommonlaw and corporal punishment - The internal and the external identity ○ If the husbandthoughtthe wife needed to be corrected,the husband was allowed to use a - Findingour place throughnegotiationthrough the personal sense of self-sameness and societiesview of who we whip as longas it was not thicker than histhumb. are. We oscillate between the two. ○ Coverature:  During the period a woman was married, she had no legal rights To be is to belong… ○ Indian practiceof Sati: - Every human being has the desire to belong.  Burningthe wife on the funeral fire of a dead husband - Most of our stories in our life stems from the desire to belongto somethinglarger than ourselves ○ Post-emancipationapprentice - Almost nothinghas any meaning in life if we take ourselves outsidesociety  Women were singled out and tortured - Group identity ○ Mary Wollstonecraftfirststood up against violence against women in Britain.Her followers - Professional,linguistic,citizenships,etc… eventually led to the enfranchisementof women - Collective memory - Historicalproduction >Vignettes: Sexual orientation - If you wake up one morningand forget everything about your past, you are lackingidentity.Similarly,if a - Oscar Wilde nation forgets the historyof itself,it lacks identity. ○ Accusation - Queensberry - 1895 - Cultural memory and group identity ○ "Love that does not dare to speak its name."
More Less

Related notes for HIST 122

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit