History
Course
HIST 122
Professor
Amitava Chowdhury
Semester
Winter

Description
Semester 2, Week 9 Hist 122 Identity and a Century of Violence I. Conceptualizing Identity At home in the World…  Three fundamental questions: 1. Who are we? Individually? Collectively? 2. What should be done? How do we live a good life? 3. How do we know what we know?  Who are we? o Self-sameness over time  Sense of I-ness o Personal identity o Memory: the basis of personal identity – John Locke o Three things comprise identity: 1) Who we are 2) What we know 3) What we have o The internal and external identity o Finding our place through negotiation  Between personal and social expectations To be is to belong  The desire to belong  Group identity  Collective memory  Historical production  Cultural memory and group identity Selves in the group  The inside and the outside o Personal and larger group identity  Jacques Derrida  Identity is the mediating factor  Individual and the collective acts simultaneously Property or a process?  Diminishing fixedness o Biological origins cant be changed  Identity can never be an immutable property  Forever provisional  A project and a process Plurality of Identity  Diachronic identity o Preservation of self-sameness over time  Synchronic identity – essential plurality  Contextual identity o One aspect used at particular time  Normative control and stability of identity What price identity?  The myth of identity loss  Shared identity  Denying choice  Emphasizing singularity  Eruption of violence II. Identity-based Violence Murder by miniaturi
More Less

Related notes for HIST 122

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit