History (1,316)
HIST 122 (155)

Violence and something Tuesday March 12.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Queen's University
HIST 122
Amitava Chowdhury

Violence and something Tuesday March 12/2013 Conceptualizing identity At home in the world… - who are we? Unanswerable question todays topic - what should we do? Another stupid question - how do we know what we know? Another question - Self-sameness over time - Personal Identity - John Locke: The basis of personal identity: memory is the basis of our personal identity. I know who I am because I remembered what I did - The internal identity is generated from our memory and external identity is forced or brought upon on us. Is it therefore a combo of both that defines our identity or one of them - Finding our place through negotiation The desire to belong - the desire to belong, nothing has meaning if we take ourselves out of it - group identity: historically produced - collective memory - historical production - cultural memory and group identity selves in the group - the inside and the outside - Jacques derrida - Identity as the mediating factor - The individual and the collective act simultaneously Property or a process - diminishing fixedness - Identity not an immutable property - Forever provisional - A progect and a process Bauman - a very sweet old man picture - smart dude Plurality of identity - Diachronic identity (membership in a group) - Synchronic identity ( connects us with others) - Contextual identity ( identity created by appearance, appropriate at certain times) What price identity - the myth of identity loss - shared identity - denying choice - emphasizing singularity - eruption of violence Murder by minia
More Less

Related notes for HIST 122

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.