HIST 124 (191)
Lecture 6

Je me souveins - Week 6.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Queen's University
HIST 124
Steven J Maynard

Je me souviens: Myth and Memory, Conquest and Compromise Week Six I. The Conquest as Myth and Memory **clash of social formations A. Wolfe: The “Dauntless Hero”? 1759 – Wolfe: Hero of British Conquest of New France  Feared not living up to Mother and Father  Thought he was dying  Weird looking guy: deeply narcotic and haunted by night terrors  Brought 40000 troops to Quebec  Expected to be welcomed by habitant  Habitant send families into Quebec while men create armies and attack English  Wolfe burns crops and houses  Spends months trying to get Quebec people to come out B. “Je me souviens”: French Memory of the Conquest  September 13, 1759: The Plains of Abraham – plan to take army across river and scale cliffs up to the top – Wolfe and 4500 troops went – 15 minute battle – Quebecois comes out and beats New Framce  French perspective – establishing moment in  “Wolfe the Dauntless Hero” written in 1867  1978: Quebec government changed license plates to: Je me souviens C. “The Death of General Wolfe”  Glorifies death  Sacrifice  Painting shows First Nations at death when he hated them  Taught as Romanized myth II. The Conquest as Socio-Economic Process A. The Difference Demography Makes  British rule meant end to French and Native interactions  Opening shot in very long revolutions  Transition to liberal capitalism  Despite internal growth rate their was only around 70000 people in New France  Over same period, English uparded more than a million people  Demograohic swamping B. Enclosures, Clearances, and the Capitalist Transformation of Europe  Arisocates come in and declare private property (Enclosures)  Taking place during 1700s where thousands booted off land and came to North America  Happens in France and Britian C. Differences between French and Britis
More Less

Related notes for HIST 124

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.