History
Course
HIST 218
Professor
Richard Greenfield
Semester
Winter

Description
Feb 24 February-24-14 2:31 PM • Byzantine political history from the late 3rd to the mid 15th century • Government o Emperors, admins, and bureaucrats   • Emperor o Always an emperor in Byzantium, starting with Constantine I o Augustus: Princeps ­ "first citizen" o Diocletian and Constantine: dominus ­ master, beyond princep o Imperator ­ commander o Augustus ­ majesty o Autokrator ­ master o Basileus ­ great king (does stick, go back to autokrator) o Emperor's office was sacred ­ pontifex maximus o Rise in notion and reality of centrality of imperial power o Emperor as symbol of unity as only source of power and unity o But idea wanes again as peripheries rise o Idea of emperor still remains o How did one become emperor? • Acclamation­ people wanted someone to be emperor • Nomination­ previous emperor says who he wants to be new emperor • Dynastic succession  Emperor should be from line of the previous emperor  Brother to brother, father to son, grandfather to grandson, uncle  to nephew, etc. • Usurpation  Emperor is taken out (i.e. Romanos III who was drowned in his 
More Less

Related notes for HIST 218

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit