Music
Course
MUSC 102
Professor
Kip Pegley
Semester
Winter

Description
• Period of optimism • 2 stage of modernism o More movement o More possibilities in terms of music and social lives etc. o Experimentation (scales, sound, audiences, instrumentation) • Andy Warhol, “100 Cans of Campbell’s Soup,” (1962) – using everyday object and striving to bring out artistic features to public eye • Greater power given to performer and audience 1. Total control  total serialism (dynamics, beat, etc.) due to prevalence of computers 2. Increased freedom (John Cage) John Cage (1912-1992) • Fascinated by sounds around him • Scholar in mycology (science of mushrooms); frequent drug user • Experimented in the modification of instruments and changed the traditional method of playing • “Prepared piano” refers to chance music (unpredictable sound); even audience influences the music • “years ago, after I decided to devote my life to music, I noticed that people distinguish between noises and sounds… I decided to...fight for noises, to be on the side of the underdog.” • “Everything we do is music” • 4’33” Sonata III (1946-8) Imaginary Landscape IV (1951) • Good example of chance music • 12 radios + performers; Cage dictates the volume of each radio, but since the channels are being changed, what comes out of the radio is completely random • Partly controlled, partly by chance • Post modernism o For the masses Changes to Music in Postmodernism 1. There is no “high” or “low” in art, only “art.” Genres become more blurred. 2. Each culture is as important as the next, so that we don’t “other” people in the same way. 3. A new agenda to create music: strict classical music forms such as sonata form, or theme and variations are no longer operative. Genres are collapsed and there is a wider range of genres. Each music work must fashion its unique form according to the demands and creative urges of the moment. Blue • Heavy – lyric content • Form Four features of the blues: 1. aab lyric structures 2. Call and response between vocals and piano at 0:46; this was transplanted into Blues music 3. 12-bar (classic) blues progress
More Less

Related notes for MUSC 102

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit