Lecture 3

6 Pages

Department
Music
Course Code
MUSC 171
Professor
Kip Pegley

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Description
rd Sept 23 (African American Work Songs, Gospel Music, Honky Tonk Blues “Boogie Woogie,” Big Bands) Blues Three features: • Evokes melancholic or sad feelings • 3 line stanzas, 4 bars each = 12 bars • Includes flattening of pitches History of the term “blues”: • Called “race music” until 1949 • Two broad types include “Country (rural) blues” and “classic (city/urban) blues” • As the rural blues moved towards urban centers, it became increasingly up-tempo • 1940’s evolved to rhythm and blues (precursor to rock and roll) Country Blues • Highly personal • Improvised • Irregular form • Often a male accompanied by a single banjo or guitar Blind Lemon Jefferson • Born blind • “Black Snake Moan” o a-a-b structure o Guitar acts as an extension of his voice (single string technique acts as an answer to his calls; call and response technique) o Unpredictable phrasing and rhythm o Highly sexual lyrics (“black snake moaning”) o Lyrics are non-linear o Single guitar accompaniment o Beats are hard to count Civil War –ended in 1864 (emancipation) Classic Blues • Increased during crop worker migration to urban centers • Clearer lyrics • In contrast to the single male singers in Country Blues, most of the lead singers were female • Sad content • Blues notes • Chord progression (I, IV, V) • 12 bar blues structure • a-a-b lyrical structure • Boogie Woogie is a city blues piano style Country and city blues had related lyrics style and harmonic pattern, but the singing style and rhythms were different (i.e country blues was from music of the fields and work gangs) “Have you ever been down” by Sippie Wallace (classic blues vocalist) and Louis Armstrong (trumpet player) ***See journal*** “Hey Hey” by Big Bill Broonzy o Sad lyrical o Chord progression: I I IV IV I V IV I o Blue Notes ASCAP vs. Broadcasters Composers of music NAB --v 1940 raises $1.5M –v BMI • ASCAP Strike (1941 for 10 months) no ASCAP artists were heard on the radio (increased listening of blues music since TPA music was now blocked) • Broadcasters refuse increase in licensing fee from ASCAP BMI vs. AFM “Writers” • Music on the radio was performed live • DJ’s became increasingly important • The earliest DJ’s predated 1929, but in 1936 – Martin Block (show: “Make Believe Ballroom”) • AFM president: James
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit