MUSC 171 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Drive My Car, Smothers Brothers, The Turtles

50 views4 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Band members of the funk brothers were mostly self-taught. Film: standing in the shadows of motown. Progression of mo town sound which started i the style of tin pan alley (love songs and non confrontational i. e more explicit content, such as martin geye"s what"s going on and the. Lots of soul music produced in the 1960"s (power, blues) Phil spector and lester still (phil + lester = philles) Quite dense a big house band which included piano, organ, drums, guitars, percussion, vibes, horns, strings. Very dense - spector"s trademark was the wall of. Sound; to achieve orchestral sound he would typically use a large band with multiples of instruments (e. g. two pianos) Standard rock quartet (guitar, drums, bass, piano, and a small horn section) Highly arranged to accommodate so many musical parts. Sparsely arranged to accommodate a jam or very improvised feel. Girl groups in the early days (e. g. the ronettes and.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers