Philosophy
Course
PHIL 111
Professor
Paul Fairfield
Semester
Fall

Description
September 13, 2012 Euthryphro by Plato - Knowledge of piety is knowledge of justice - Euthryphro is meant to be an expert, ergo, Socrates asks to be his mentee - Socrates wants a certain type of knowledge: interested in universal definition of piety. Euthryphro provides his own definitions 1. Piety is what I’m doing now - Upon further question: 2. “What is pious is what is loved by the gods, what is not pious is not loved by the gods.” – Euthryphro’s definition of piety a. Socrates asks, “If this is true, then it must be that the gods have come to a consensus on the definition of piety” 3. Piety is concerned with care of the gods a. Euthryphro is finally ready to give Socrates what he wants to know - Concerned with care: is it like caring for my dog? NO. More as though providing a master a service - Having given Socrates what he wants, Socrates may now go out and determine which acts are pious - Socrates, however, has questions, “Is the pious what the gods love or is what the gods love pious?” o Are w
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 111

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit