Philosophy
Course
PHIL 111
Professor
Jon Miller
Semester
Fall

Description
Week 8 October 29, 2013 Preliminaries - To make the case against D.C.E., we shall read Plato’s great dialogue The Euthyphro. Before getting to this, a couple of preparatory remarks are in order. o How to cite Plato  Don’t use the page number of the translation you are using  Instead, use the Stephanus numbers • Page and column o What’s the point of the dialogues? - An introduction to the Euthyphro o The protagonists are Socrates and Euthyphro o The name “Euthyphro” means “straight thinker” o They meet the outside the courtroom where Socrates will be put on trial for his life o Euthyphro is there to put his father on trial for murder o Most Athenians would be shocked by his action, but Euthyphro is sure he knows what’s right o Because Euthyphro claims to know what the right thing to do is, Socrates asks him to explain this matter First Attempt at a Definition - After it has become clear what has brought them together, Socrates asks Euthyphro to enlighten him. This leads to Euthyphro’s first attempt at defining piety o Socrates: “Tell me, then, what is the pious, and what the impious, do you say?” o Euthyphro: “I say that the pious is to do what I am doing now, to prosecute the wrongdoer” (5d-e)
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 111

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit