Philosophy
Course
PHIL 111
Professor
Jon Miller
Semester
Fall

Description
Week 12 November 25, 2013 Autonomy - The C.I. provides a standard of rationality which is the basis for all moral requirements o Because morality is rationality, immorality is therefore irrationality - Other philosophers have also argued that moral requirements are based on standards of rationality - The difference between Kant and his predecessors is the following o For other philosophers, reason mattered either as an instrument or as a source of unique rational intuitions - Kant agreed that an analysis of practical reason will reveal only the requirement that rational agents must conform to instrumental principles o Practical reason: concerned with actions, not understanding o If we think only of reason in terms of actions, then it is true that reason is an instrument - Yet he argued that conformity to the C.I. and hence to moral requirements themselves, can nevertheless be shown to be essential to rational agency o To be moral beings, we must also be conforming to the test of the categorical imperative; to provide ourselves with our own moral codes - This argument was based on his doctrine that a rational will must be autonomous o What does that mean? A rational will is autonomous just in case it is the author of the law that binds it - The fundamental principle of morality- the C.I.- is none other than the law of an autonomous will - So central to Kant’s moral philosophy is a conception of reason which sees it as much more than a mere instrument - Moreover, the presence of this self-governing reason in each person constitutes grounds for taking all people as possessing equal worth and deserving equal respect How the Categorical Imperative Works - The C.I. gives us a way to determine whether an action that we are contemplating is moral - It offers a two-part test o First, the C.I. determines whether an action is self-consistent (logically coherent?) o Second, it determines whether the action is one which the agent could rationally want everyone to perform (test of content) - If an action passes these tests, then it is morally permissible Illustrations - This example is of someone thinking about not helping those in need o His maxim: “I will take nothing from [another]… only I do not wish to contribute anything to his welfare or to his assistance in need” (663rc) o Kant says that “it is possible that a universal law of nature might exist according to that maxim” (663rc) o Nevertheless, he argues that “it is impossible to will that such a principle should have the universal validity of a law of nature”. Why? “For a will which resolved this would contradict with itself”, since he will likely find himself in need of love and sympathy of others- but by willing th
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 111

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit