Philosophy
Course
PHIL 115
Professor
Prof.
Semester
Winter

Description
Twilight of the Idols  The average human being had very different commitments, often wrong or lacking philosophical basis, but people had purpose  What convictions would you be willing to die for? Most likely nothing o If so, usually those ideas cannot be rationally defended  Our ideals become empty idols  Nihilism – belief in nothing  It is the role of the philosopher to anticipate what our new ideals might be o Re-evaluate our values  All of our political ideas are based on ancient religious ideas that don’t stand up anymore  Philosophers should have the mind of a poet (imaginative way of interpreting things)  A philosopher should be able to think about human existence and the meaning of one’s own and others existence o Most urgent questions possible for a human to ask to be able to live an examined life  Does not write formal philosophical treatises, often gets off topic  Why did we start thinking that truth was an ideal? Why do we value it?  A person is a living organism, bodies, with capacity of mind  No one can think except for the individual thinker o A work of art is a work of self-expression  All good philosophy is a skeptical philosophy  Skeptical of all the great world religions, especially Christianity and all philosophical metaphysics, epistemology (rationalism, empiricism), skeptical of common sense morality o Your moral intuitions are present because of your culture and your tradition  Our political values are based on our moral values  The whole discipline of metaphysics and epistemology are dead ends, ask questions with no possible answers  Thinking is not only a rational, cerebral enterprise, it involves the body  Strong notion of individuality in the early modern world (17 century) o Before that, the notion of individuality didn’t exist  What makes us an individual might be nothing more than the biological difference between people  Individuality is not a fact, is it a moral concept, it is more of an achievement o We should take on the task of becoming individual  The human will is not a faculty of mind  If our will is inclined to be weak, it is not fated to be weak  The human being, the human existence/nature consists of limited possibilities o Possibilities that are historically created and historically specific  If you are aspiring to be something or do something then you have possibilities to make those things actuality  All knowledge is interpretation, might be true, but there is no non-interpretive, objective, knowledge  Just because certainty is not possible does not mean knowledge is not possible  Descartes – certain ideas are evident by the “light of nature”, cannot be denied o No such thing as the light of nature, and if it does exist, we need evidence, but it is an assumption, yet Descartes said he did not assume anything  You can’t get something from nothing – ancient theory  Certain ideas are so fundamental that we depend on them, making it impossible for these ideas to be untrue o Depending on something does not make that something absolutely dependable  The fact that we rely on an idea does not mean that the idea is true o The fact that we wouldn’t know how to live without relying on certain ideas does not make them true, it just means we are limited  Truth is metaphorically a “woman”, there is no definition of the word truth (no theory of truth)  If what makes a true statement true is that it is blank – no way to fill that blank space o Nothing makes true ideas true; true ideas are mostly ideas we accept and rely on, it is what works  What is the value of truth?  We have to regard ideas in a more personal way o Self-expression, will to power  We have to regard philosophy as a discipline and ideas more generally  Knowledge is available to any rational being if they are following their rational method (Descartes) o Hume will say make knowledge claims when you have empirical support o James and Dewey will say you should adopt an idea once you have inquired into it and seen the consequences o Nietzsche will disagree and say that philosophy is the personal confession of its author  The philosopher is not one type o Rational, platonic, etc  All knowledge is contingent on the speaker, on the interests of the speaker  Knowledge always serves its knowers  Knowledge is interpretive on the standpoint of the knower  Perspectivism is a hypothesis about the nature of knowledge  Knowledge is much more limited than we wish to believe  In the nature of knowledge that it doesn’t reveal itself in totality  The very condition that makes knowledge possible, also limits knowledge  We never know the whole truth about something, we have an aspect of the truth  The discipline of psychology is a point of view  all disciplines are a variety of different points of view o The richer our knowledge will be, the more points of view on it, but our knowledge will never be complete  Human existence needs a justification: why are we here? What is the value and point of my life?  Religion deprives us in our ability to answer the most urgent question in human existence  As soon as I believe in the gods or a god, I prostrate myself in front of this god o All the good things and important things in my life are given to me by an act of grace from above, it is a gift, I do not deserve it o All the things that give my life meaning and purpose are given to me, leaving me the originator of everything bad  Human existence ought to be lived in the present as much as possible o Get rid of the notion of the afterlife – if our soul is eternal, why should we care about this life?  The basic impulse of religion is to tear down what is inspired or different (resentment)  Any inspired idea that must be inspired by a God or another greater self must be justified  Our ordinary way of thinking about morality is in some way false o We each have a basic sense of what is right and wrong, what is mostly common knowledge  The fact that we need consensus means there is some kind of falsity in the consensus o We are not thinking about it, if we were, we are not thinking about a variety, about our values  The basic distinction in master morality is between good/noble and bad/base 1 o Honesty, individuality, creativity, pride, life affirmation, etc.  Slave morality, good and evil 2 o Charity, compassion, self-sacrifice, love (Christian), equality, etc.  One’s values are one’s own, they are chosen  We choose our values with some necessity  All ideas of moral values are expressions of the self  I don’t choose my values
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 115

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit