PSYCH 100 Lecture 14.docx

3 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 100
Professor
Prof.

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
PSYCH Lecture Week 14 Genetics and Intelligence The basic unit of heredity is called a: gene.  The question used to be: Is nature or nurture responsible for development? Now the question is: How do nature and nurture interact to affect development? Nature: genes we receive from our parents. Nurture: all of the physical and social environment. Genotype: The nucleus of every cell contains 23 pairs of chromosomes.  • Genes are sections of the chromosomes • Each gene is a segment of the DNA that codes for a production of one particular  protein. • 22 of these pairs are roughly equal and carry the same gene sequences relevant to  same traits. Genotypes and Phenotypes Genotype – the complete set of genes that you inherit from your parents Phenotype – the observable expression of your genotype including both appearance and  behaviour. Phenotype affected by environment even before conception. Most human genetics depend on a single gene: false! Most genetics depend on many  genes combined. Heritability The degree to which the variability of a particular trait in a particular population is a  result of genetic differences among those organisms. • Not individuals but groups. • Intelligence studied a great deal: heritability estimate of 50%. • Remember that genes only code for proteins. • Only applies to a particular group living in a particular environment at a particular  point in time. Behavioural Genetics • Tease apart environmental and genetic contributions • Family, twin and adoption studies • Ideal behavioural genetics study combines twin and adoption. On average, behavioural­genetics studies estimate the heritability of intelligence to be:  higher for adults than children.  Intelligence • An individual’s ability to understand complex ideas, to adapt effectively to he  environment, to learn from experience, to engage in various forms of reasoning,  and to overcome obstacles through mental effort. • What and how is controversial. Is intelligence one thing or many Fluid vs. Crystallized intelligence Fluid intelligence decreases with age. Fluid intelligence has to do with acquiring new  ways to overcome obstacles. Alter your behaviour thanks to new knowledge. Crystallized intelligence is knowledge. The acquiring of information. Gardner­theory of multiple intelligences Popular in the field of education – littl
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit