Premium

2 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 202
Professor
Ronald R Holden

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
September 13th 2017
WEEK 1
What is statistics?
- An approach and a set of tools that allows us to explore our data, design our
experiments and take the info we have at hand and use it to answer info we have a t
hand
- David and Lewis 2012, science
o statistis is the siee of learig for data, ad of easurig, otrollig ad
communicating uncertainty; and it thereby provides the navigation essential for
otrollig the ourse of sietifi ad soietal adaes
- look field like psychology, sociology, engineering, biology that all apply the use of stats
- when talking about data we talking about info that is available for a wide variety of
fields, issues and trying to solve a wide variety of problems
- stats are used to extract info from Data- or the strength of the data
- using data on spending habit of consumers to target their consumers for key times that
people tend to spend money and send out promotion, coupons and advertisements to
best access their consumers ie) women spend most amount of money in the second
trimester of pregnancy, target pregnant women with pamphlets, sales and sending
things to women based on the observed data their retrieve
Megabyte (ant)- gigabyte (person)- terabyte (bridge)- petabyte (data size of new Zealand)-
Exabyte (data the size of the sun)
- e deal ith a Eate’s of Data i the orld toda
- all businesses are recording information on our spending, frequent places we visit, social
media we use because they want to know what we like and sue to cater info and
resources to us
- data is flowing through the internet where it is uploaded, watched and read
- there are also devices everywhere that is constantly uploading data ex) wire cows that
monitor their internal body functions- anything that exceeds data on its own
- as of  oer  Eate’s of data used per ear
What is this course about?
- Learning how to work data
o Summarize it and answer questions with it
- Learning how to use stats to answer scientific questions
- Learning how to critically interpret stats
o Research articles, in the professional work place, public health
- Concepts and practical experience
o Work with data, explore relations going on with data and design studies with this
data
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
September 13 2017 WEEK 1 What is statistics? An approach and a set of tools that allows us to explore our data, design our experiments and take the info we have at hand and use it to answer info we have a t hand David and Lewis 2012, science o statistics is the science of learning form data, and of measuring, controlling and communicating uncertainty; and it thereby provides the navigation essential for controlling the course of scientific and societal advances look field like psychology, sociology, engineering, biology that all apply the use of stats when talking about data we talking about info that is available for a wide variety of fields, issues and trying to solve a wide variety of problems stats are used to extract info from Data or the strength of the data using data on spending habit of consumers to target their consumers for key times that people tend to spend money and send out promotion, coupons and advertisements to best access their consumers ie) women spend most amount of money in the second trimester of pregnancy, target pregnant women with pamphlets, sales and sending things to women based on the observed data their retrieve Megabyte (ant) gigabyte (person) terabyte (bridge) petabyte (data size of new Zealand) Exabyte (data the size of the sun) we deal with many Exabytes of Data in the world today all businesses are recording information on our spending, frequent places we visit, social media we use because they want to know what we like and sue to cater info and resources to us data is flowing through the internet where it is uploaded, watched and read there are also devices everywhere that is constantly uploading data ex) wire cows that monitor their internal body functions anything that exceeds data on its own as of 2017 over 8000 Exabytes of data used per year What is this course about? Learning how to work data o Summarize it and answer questions with it Learning how to use stats to answer scientific questions Learning how to critically interpret stats o Research articles, in the professional work place, public health Concepts and practical experience o Work with data, explore relations going on with data and design studies with this data
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit