PSYC202 Lecture 1: PSYC202 Lecture notes - whole semester

4 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 202
Professor
Ronald R Holden

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Page: of

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
LECTURE 1 Office hours : Tuesday 3:00 om - 4:00 pm labs = every week (not this week!) hump 219 Ta list = in course outline Main library has SPSS supposedly at queen’s learning common Follow what we are supposed to read on syllabus (has schedule) hand in assignments at beginning of class AND email it to [email protected] for assignments: ex: Friday 12th, assignment is posted, due on tuesday 23rd First exam = Thursday evening read ch. 1 and 2 by thursday COURSE validity of research depend on (go see definitions on ppt) 1- statistical conclusion validity**this course**= associtation, is there a relationship between two variables? not necessarily causal. Depends on minimizing Type I and Type 2 errors. much error = little research for large sample/subject, little error = lots of research on small sample/subject. 2- internal validity**psych 203 (design of the study). Is there a CAUSAL relationship between variables. They are related, is it causal or is there other variables that influence it? Depends on control of confounding factors and invoke principle of ceteris paribus (with other things the same aka changes only with independant variable) 3- construct validity (interpretation of variables, their meanings). Not only causal relationship what are the case and effect constructs (higher-order constructs). Is your scale legitimately measuring what it says. nb on a scale comes to mean higher-order construct, which could be depression. Depends on the meaning associated with choosing operationalizations of the dependant and independant variables. Must be able to JUSTIFY CHOICES 4 - external validity. (issues of generalizability, can animal research be generalized to humans…) generalizable across populations, settings and times. Depends on how variables are selected (participants, settings, times…). Promoted by RANDOM SAMPLING. Next ppt. Population : must be a particular population of our interest size can vary greatly can refer to almost anyway (trees, people, businesses…) Problems : can be very large and thus very difficult to measure or observe. Therefore, we draw a smaller population/ representative population (rather than all adolescents in the world, look at Canadian adolescents) Sample : selected set of individuals usually inteded to represent the population of the research study. For generalizability, bigger sample = more accurate representation, but if sample is smaller and precise. Look at picture in lecture notes online. parameter: value that describes a population statistics : value that describes a sample Research steps: 1- question parameter, 2- get info about stats, 3- generalize back to parameter datum/ raw score = 1 observation or measurment data or data set = collection of observations or measurments. LECTURE 2 descriptive stats : summarize, organize and simplyfy data inferential stats : techniques that allow to use samples and make generalizations about the pop (ex: t-tests, chi-square, ANOVA) samples are generally representative but is not expected to be perfectly acurate. ** important **sampling error is the amount of error existing between a sample statistics and the corresponding population parameter. How do we know when we have a reasonable sample? We can estimate how good the sample we have is. Step 1 : experiment/collect data step 2 : descriptive stas (summarize) step 3 : inferential stats (interpret) ex : there is a 3 point difference between samples. explanations : could be random sampling error OR there could be one teaching method that is better. importan
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit