PSYC 251 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Lev Vygotsky, Oksapmin Language, Joint Attention

59 views11 pages
23 Mar 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Sociocultural theories emphasis on the fact that other people and the surrounding culture significantly contributes to child development. Guided participation: process where more knowledgeable people organize or structure activities in a way to promote learning in less knowledgeable people. They make it possible for the less knowledgeable to participate in and accomplish things that they would not be able to do. Intersubjectivity: idea that there is a mutual understanding of each other"s intention between two or more people. Turn taking interaction i. e. mom and baby taking turns vocalizing towards each other. Baby coos, mother reacts and it goes back and forth. Two people jointly focusing on same object i. e. son and father attending to the same thing (picture) Infants and children look to their caregivers to get important feedback on a new situation i. e. baby or young child encounters a new toy or person. Often look at caregiver to see their reaction. Get information of how they would react.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers