Psychology
Course
PSYC 100
Professor
Jill L Atkinson
Semester
Winter

Description
Delvin So Thursday, January 12,2012 Week 1 : Language General Things about Language  Symbols of a true language are arbitrary  No reason to call a baby a baby, could call them anything  Exceptions are onomatopoeia  Language is infinitely generative, can say any statement in many ways  Language allows for displacement, can talk about any time period, past, present and future Components of Language  Phonemes – components of sound  Eg. Th, ck,  Talk in a continuous speech stream, without forced enunciation  Morphemes – units of meaning, shouldn`t be confused with syllables  Happy – one morpheme  Unhappy – two morpheme  Unhappiness- three morpheme  Number of morphemes is associated with units of meaning  Free and bound morphemes are root words  Free – eg. Happy  Bound – eg. Not, un  MLU – mean length of utterance  Syntax – the rules of a language (unconsciously done, grammar)  Examples are word order, use of nouns,verbs and adjectives along with affixes  Function words are propositions (I,to,the), whereas content words are words such as nouns that fulfill the rest of the sentence  Semantics – study of meaning of word  Textbook says part of syntax but it isn`t  Understanding of semantics helps us understand syntax and vice-versa  Prosody-stress – rthym and pitch  Pragmatics – the social use of language  Eg. How you talk to police officer vs your friends  How you give information out  Irony  Sarcasm Delvin So Thursday, January 12,2012 Early Speech Perception  Babies that are a month old are able to detect all possible phoneme differences  By age of 1, babies can only detect phoemes that are present in their native language  As babies age, they are less and less capable of being able to distinguish phonemes in foreign languages  Eg. Japanese babies can detect difference between re and le, whereas Japanese adults who have never been exposed to English cannot distinguish the difference at all Babbling  Babies exposed to sign language will `babble`in sign language  Shows that they are trying to communicate, practice their language  Approximations of sign language as opposed to the full sign language  Around 6 months, they will babble a lot and attempt to imitate others  Deaf children will babble audibly at a young age, but will stop due to having no positive reinforcement as they cannot hear it  Babbling will gradually take on the sounds, rhythm of their native language Infant-Directed Talk  Motherese  Most cultures use it but it isn’t really necessary  Sweet tone, exaggerated prosody, enunciation and many pauses  Main goal is to get childs attention, and then once attention is received then mother will start to talk normally Early Words  Most early words are directed to objects and people that are related and connected to the baby  Usually names for people and things  Only say what they need to get their point across  Under and over extension occurs early on  Instead of saying my cup, they just say cup Grammar Development Delvin So Thursday, January 12,2012  Usually starts to use at age of 2  In telepgraphic speech word order rules are not violated  Eg. They will never say store I go, rather I go store  They will say things correct, but ten they will overregularize  I go to grandmas, and then one day they will start saying I go to the grandmas  Due to having so much grammar under belt  Child thinks they add –ed for everything to past, and will start adding everything ed to everything to past  Recasting, saying their phrase correctly back to them  MLU – average number of morphemes per utterance Nurture (Learning Theories) Nativist Theories  Chomsky said language too complex  Language acquisition device specialized for detecting and learning rules  Children are predisposed to learn and attend specific aspects of grammar and word order Interactionist Theories  Language development is influenced by communicative function  Language often presented structurally  Children are usually motivated to communicate with others  Language is learned with no specific pre-wiring in the brain  Early on focus is on semantics but later on towards grammar Week 1 - Chapter 10: Language – Reading Notes Intro  Humans used to be only species that were considered to have languages, systems that uses symbols to express many meanings  Most species can communicate with each other, but it doesn’t mean they have language Delvin So Thursday, January 12,2012  Language plays a crucial role in our day to day lives, but it also used in remember
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit