Treatment of Psychological Disorders
Type of Assessment
-Medical imaging (FMRI,EEG)
Traditional forms of psychotherapy
- Are still used not that common
Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy’s
-Maladaptive behavior is the problem: need to change his behavior directly.
- Behave in more desirable ways
- most techniques used are based on operant and classical conditioning.
operant: BASED ON THE FACT behavior is affected by consequences (can lead to
increase/decrease of that behaviors)
-Classical conditioning: association between stimulus and natural response
transferred to another stimulus
Behavioral Therapies: Operant Conditioning. – big bang theory clip.
- positive reinforcement to correct behavior
- reinforcement of adaptive behaviors (eg. Token economies)
- token economies instituted in psychiatric institutions, patient in hospital for
anorexia if she eats her entire meal, she will receive a token, collect token for
a desirable object.
Behavior therapies: operant conditioning
Modeling: imitate the successful behaviors of others ( note: not really “operant
conditioning” but textbook puts it here.) – sexual disorders
Flooding: directly and fully exposed to fearful stimulus until fear dissipates. Afraid
of dogs, dog is put in the room.
Aversion Therapy: pleasant but undesirable stimulus (eg, alcohol) paired with
aversive response (eg vomiting)
- stimulus usually pleasurable, paired with unpleasant stimulus. Behavioral Therapies Phobias, addictions and specific problem behaviours that can
Systematic desensitization: remove unpleasant emotional response produced by the
feared object or situation and replace it with an inco