203 Guest Speaker Jill Jacobsen.pdf

2 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 203
Professor
Daryl Wilson

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
Jill  Jacobson   “Why  Ask  Why?”:  Causal  Uncertainty  and  Social  Cognition  and   Behaviour     Cognitive  theory  of  depression:  Hopelessness  theory   1. Negative  life  event   2. Making  a  global,  stable  attribution.  This  is  a  negative  attribution  that  the  life  event  is   always  true  and  cannot  be  changed.   3. Helplessness  and  hopelessness.     4. Depression.     Hopelessness  tends  to  be  the  last  step  before  depression.       Processing  of  social  information  can  be  difficult,  confusing,  and  cause  dysphoria.       Causal  uncertainty:  uncertain  about  the  causes  of  events.  In  this  talk,  especially  talking  about   causes  of  events  in  social  relationships.       Causal  uncertainty  model:  when  we  become  depressed  we  seek  out  and  process  more  social   information.   1. Negative  life  event   2. Global,  stable  attribution/  control  loss  perceptions   3. Causal  uncertainty  in  processing  of  social  information.  This  can  lead  to  expecting  negative   outcomes.     4. Depression   • Normally  distributed  in  the  public     Hopelessness  is  a  type  of  certainty.  It  is  being  certain  that  things  have  no  future  potential.       Causal  uncertainty:  why  did  someone  do  this,  why  did  this  go  on?  Remember  that  this  walk  is   entitled  “why  ask  why?”,  within  these  questions  we  can  build  causal  uncertainty  in  ourselves.  This   can  be  chronic  and  spill  into  your  own  life  (maybe  I  don’t  understand  other  people  as  well  as  I   think  I  do)  or  can  be  a  temporary  anomaly.       People  who  have  high  causal  uncertainty  engage  in  more  “diagnostic  information  seeking”  –   asking  more  questions  about  other  people  that  yield  information.  These  questions  would  be   discriminating  in  that  they  really  get  to  the  core  of  really  getting  an  understanding  of  the  person.     It  all  comes  down  to  greater  seeking  and  processing  of  information.       Feelings  can  act  as  cues  to  processing.  The  context  of  this  cue  depends  on  our  goal  or  the  question   we  are  framing.           Stop  rules:  the  mood  changes  the  framing  of  the  question  that  determines  whether  or  not  we  will   seek  and  process  more  information  or  stop  processing.     • Do  I  have  enough  information?  (Sufficiency  rule)   o
More Less
Unlock Document

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit