Lecture Week 8
Wundt’s Psychology of Consciousness
• The German university 19 century
• University of Berlin
o First modern research university
• No experimentation at this time
• Modernization taking root
• William von Humboldt
• Developed to meet social and cultural ideals
• Unified understandings
Gemeinshaft: community that shares cultural roots.
Gesellschaft: society; where people live in parallel.
Partnership of psychology and physiology is the acknowledgment that psychology as a science relying
on internal and external information.
• Nervous system as basis of mentality
Reduction: explaining mental and behavioural phenomena in the context of physiological causes.
• E.g., NT hypotheses of clinical disorders