Information on SOCY Degree Programs
The following outlines the requirements for students who wish to have a Major (MAJ),
Medial (MED) or Minor (MIN) concentration in SOCY.
1. Students who wish to take SOCY courses beyond SOCY 122 must have a minimum
grade of 60% in SOCY 122 (under the new grade point system that will begin this
spring, that would be a 1.7 grade point in SOCY 122).
2. There is a core of required courses for the MAJ and MED that are common and a
similar core for the MIN
3. In all three, students must complete with a minimum grade of 65% (probably a grade
point of 2.3 although that has not yet been officially determined) in each course,
SOCY 210* Social Research Methods, SOCY 211* Social Statistics, and SOCY 221
The Development of Social Theory (two half courses and one full year course
although in 2009-10, SOCY 221 will become two separate half courses)
4. In the MAJ and MED, you are also required to complete with a minimum grade of
65% (again, probably a grade point of 2.3 although that has not yet been officially
determined) in each course SOCY 321* Research Methodology, and SOCY 322
Modern Social Theories (one half course and one full year course which will, in
2009-10 become two separate half year courses).
5. The SOCY MAJ is comprised of 10 SOCY credits plus 9 elective credits. For the
MAJ, you must complete the core (122, 210*, 211*, 221, 321*, and 322) plus 2.0
credits at the 400 or 500 level and 3.5 additional SOCY credits with at least 1.0 at the
300 level – see
ml see also http://www.queensu.ca/sociology/files/undergraduate%20degree
6. The SOCY