SOCY 306 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Sustainable Development Commission, Sociology Of Culture, Consumerism

20 views3 pages

Document Summary

[consumerism] is a very seductive idea, but it"s also a lethal ideascale up all of these individual acts of consumption multiplied by several billion people and stand back and watch disaster unfold (uk sustainable. Development commission 2007: waste and decay, the society of consumers is unthinkable without a thriving waste-disposal industry a consumerist economy thrives on the turnover of commodities and necessarily comes to rely on excess and waste (bauman 2007: 36-8) What are the consequences of consumerism: constant disappointment, when it first became possible to get a wide variety of fruits and vegetables at all times of year, i thought i"d found heaven. Now i take this year-round bounty for grantedi got used to - and adapted to each of these sources of pleasure, and they stopped being sources of pleasure (schwartz 2005: 167-8: anxiety and unhappiness, people in the west have got no happier in the last 50 years.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers