Field and strucuture space, capital
Subjective. Agency. And Habitus
- Habitus exists within a field. The space creates opportunities to
understand the world around us.
- Habitus is located in a physical and social space. The person
comprehends thr world from a specific position
- Practical comprehension is not just intellectual comprehension, it is an
experience, they have body knowledge and skills.
- Habitus is embodied in the way people talk and act
- Capital determines where you at and determines where you go.
- Practical knowledge is important in socialization.
- Berger focuses on language knowledge
Social space is defined by mutual exclusion.
- Fields have positions positions distinguish between people.
- A space has positions that characterizes one position relative to other
- There is a quest for distinction.
- Distinct is distinct from others. Individuation.
- Distinction as distinguished from others.
o not just individuation, but distinguish oneself.
o Using cultural capital to make one disintct and to be distinguished.
o Distinction through capital.
Field shapes Habitus and dispositions.
- Habitus is a system of dispositions. An organized set of actions.
- A way of being. A habitual state. Mental constitutions, temperament,
tendency, inclination. A mental framework and ideas.
- Habitus involves a certain way of talking and acting.
Different fields have different Habitus.
- Habitus is a system of structured structures that function as structuring
o Lol wut
- It is a sense of how to go in a social space,field.
- Habitus structures the way I act.
- Draw upon Habitus to create the world. It is a structure.
- We reproduce the same structures we exist in.
- Habitus is a predisposition, it shapes action and distinction in the field.
- Habitus means feeling at home in a particular location. A field.
- Habitus is distinct to certain fields