Chapter 2

5 Pages

Department
Accounting
Course Code
ACC 414
Professor
Amy Aubin

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.
Ch 2 Conceptual Framework Underlying Financial Reporting
Usefulness of Conceptual Framework
- Creates standards for accounting profession
- /v(]vv]ouvµ[understanding of & confidence in financial reporting
- Enhances comparability of financial statements of different companies
Conceptual Framework
Objectives
To provide info that is: useful to users & decision relevant
Fundamental Qualitative Characteristics
1. Relevance t makes a difference, has predictive/feedback value
2. Representational Faithfulness (Reliability) t complete, neutral, reasonably free from error/bias
x Completeness t include all info necessary to portray underlying events & transactions
x Neutrality t favor one set of stakeholders over another
x Freedom from material error/bias t reliable, convert economic events into f/s
Predictive value t use info to assess future potential of entity
Confirmatory/Feedback value t users use info to confirm their prior expectations & to assess
management performance
Enhancing Qualitative Characteristics
1. Comparability
x Info measured & reported in similar way (company to company, & year to year)
x Allows users to identify real economic similarities & differences
2. Verifiability t similar results achieved if same methods are used
3. Timeliness t info available to decision makers before lose ability to influence
4. Understandability
x Users need to have reasonable knowledge to see significance of info
x W}À]^enough_]v(}}Z]]o
5. Trade-offs t identify all relevant info, presented to reflect economic substance (representational
faithfulness)
6. Constraints t materiality t ]u]u}v(]u[}Àoo(]vv]o}]}v
Basic Elements
Balance Sheet
- Assets t present economic resource, right of access to those resources where others do not
o Economic resources t scarce & capable to produce cash flows, enforceable right (access)
www.notesolution.com
o Unconditional right t e.g. recover insured losses, even no loss suffered
o Conditional right t e.g. receive compensation if loss occurs
- Liabilities t economic obligation, entity has present obligation (enforceable)
o Stand-ready obligation t unconditional, ready to do whatever required under terms
o Constructive obligation t arise through past/present, acknowledging potential
economic burden
- Equity/Net Assets t residual (ownership) interest; assets t liabilities = net worth
Statement of Comprehensive Income Statement
- Revenues: ]v]v}v}u]}µU(}uvv]Ç[ordinary activities
- Expenses: ]v}v}u]}µU(}uvv]Ç[ordinary activities
- Gains: increases in equity (net assets) from incidental transactions
- Losses: decreases in equity from incidental transactions
- Comprehensive income t v]v}uoo}Zµ]ÇZvPÆ}Áv[]vÀuv
distributions
- Other comprehensive income: above elements that are included in CI, but not in NI
- Revenues t Expenses + Gains t Losses = Net Income ± OCI = Comprehensive Income
Foundational Principles
- Foundational concepts & constraints help explain which, when, & how financial elements and
events should be recognized/derecognized, measured, and presented/disclosed
- Act as guidelines for developing rational responses to controversial financial reporting issues
Recognition/Derecognition
Measurement
Presentation & Disclosure
1. economic entity
2. control
3. revenue recognition & realization
4. matching
5. periodicity
6. monetary unit
7. going concern
8. historical cost
9. fair value
10. full disclosure
Recognition
Process of including v]u}vv]Ç[ovZ}]v}uuv~
Elements of financial statements have historically been recognized when:
± they meet definition of an element (e.g. asset)
± they are probable, &
± they are reliably measurable
Derecognition t W}}(Zremoving[}uZ]vP(}uZovZ}]v}uuv
Economic Entity Assumption (Entity Concept)
economic activity can be identified with a particular unit of accountability
business activity is separate & distinct from its owners (& any other business unit)
An individual, departments or divisions of an entity, or an entire industry may be considered
separate entities
Does not necessarily refer to a legal entity
For tax & legal purposes, considered a legal entity
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Ch 2 Conceptual Framework Underlying Financial Reporting Usefulness of Conceptual Framework - Creates standards for accounting profession - L ZZ]LL ]oZKLZZ[understanding & confidence in financial reporting - Enhances comparability of financial statements of different companies Conceptual Framework Objectives To provide info that is: useful to users & decision relevant Fundamental Qualitative Characteristics 1. Relevance J makes a difference, has predictivefeedback value 2. Representational Faithfulness (Reliability) J complete, neutral, reasonably free from errorbias N Completeness J include all info necessary to portray underlying events & transactions N Neutrality J favor one set of stakeholders over another N Freedom from material errorbias J reliable, convert economic events into fs Predictive value J use info to assess future potential of entity ConfirmatoryFeedback value J users use info to confirm their prior expectations & to assess management performance Enhancing Qualitative Characteristics 1. Comparability N Info measured & reported in similar way (company to company, & year to year) N Allows users to identify real economic similarities & differences 2. Verifiability J similar results achieved if same methods used 3. Timeliness J info available to decision makers before lose ability to influence 4. Understandability N Users need to have reasonable knowledge to see significance of info N 9}]Z^enough _]L}Z}Z]]Z o 5. Trade-offs J identify all relevant info, presented to reflect economic substance (representational faithfulness) 6. Constraints J materiality J ]K]K }L]K[Z}oo]LL ]o}]}LZ Basic Elements Balance Sheet - Assets J present economic resource, right of access to those resources where others do not o Economic resources J scarce & capable to produce cash flows, enforceable right (access) www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit