Premium

5 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BLG 151
Professor
Martina Hausner

This preview shows pages 1 and half of page 2. Sign up to view the full 5 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Microbiology Chapter 13: Bacterial Genome Replication and Expression 13.1 Experiments Using Bacteria and Viruses Demonstrated that DNA is the Genetic Material What is Genetics?  Study of structure and function of hereditary material and the mechanisms by which organisms pass traits from one generation to the next  Microbial genetics?  Use of microorganisms to study genetics Terminology and Concepts  Genome  All DNA present in a cell or virus  Bacteria and archaea generally have one set (haploid – 1N)  Eukaryotes have two sets (diploid – 2N)  Genotype  Specific set of genes an organism possesses  Phenotype  Collection of observable characteristics Discovery of DNA as Genetic Material  1928 – Fred Griffith  1944 – Avery, McLeod and McCarty  1952 – Alfred Hershey and Martha Chase DNA as Genetic Material  Griffith in 1928 observed the change of non virulent organisms into virulent ones via “transformation”  MacLeod and McCarty in 1944 showed that the transforming principle was DNA Griffith’s Experiments  Worked with Streptococcus pneumonia  Used different strains of the bacteria to show pathogenic trait caused death in mice  Showed pathogenic trait could be passed onto non pathogenic bacteria  “transforming factor” – what is it? Avery, McLeod and McCarty’s Experiments  Repeated Griffith’s experiment with more advanced biochemistry  Showed “transforming factor” was DNA  Earlier experiments done by Avery, MacLeod, and McCarty had shown that only DNA extracts from S cells caused transformation of R cells to S cells. To demonstrate that contaminating molecules in the DNA extract were not responsible for transformation, the DNA extract from S cells was treated with RNase, DNase, or protease, and then mixed with R cells. Only treatment of the DNA extract from S cells with DNase destroyed the ability of the extract to transform the R cells DNA as Genetic Material – Proof with Radioactivity Experiments  Hershey and Chase, 1952, used bacteriophage T2 infection as model 32 35  DNA labeled with P; protein coat labeled with S  Only DNA entered cell but both new DNA and protein coats synthesized in new viruses indicating DNA had genetic information for both of these viral components  In both experiments, phage progeny were produced. Thus blender treatment did not interfere with the infection process. A) When E.coli was infected with a T2 35 phage containing S protein, after centrifugation most of the radioactivity remained in the supernatant where the sheared-off phage particles were located.
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1 and half of page 2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit