BLG 307 (38)
Clare Chua (38)

cytolitic lymphocytes

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
BLG 307
Clare Chua

CD8 CYTOLYTIC T LYMPHOCYTES (CTL) functions: virally infected cells (MAJOR) bacterial infected cells tumor cells graft rejection important that their activity is confined only to target cells some CD4 and some NK cells also have cytolytic activity PROTECTION AGAINST VIRAL INFECTION antigenic viral proteins can be cytosolic or nuclear-localized viral escape mechanisms – latent infection privileged site replication (cells lacking MHC I) inhibit class I MHC expression inhibit TAP1/2 activity (peptides cannot enter ER) mutation in antigenic peptide sequence PROTECTION AGAINST BACTERIAL INFECTION several types of bacteria can reside and replicate WITHIN host cells Salmonella, Listeria, Myobacteria while this might elicit MHCII/CD4 response in some cells, certain cell types LACK these proteins and the MHCI/CD8 route is the only alternative ACTIVATION OF CTL – after activation, clonal expansion and expression of cytokines also expression of cytolytic proteins (perforin, granzymes) initial stages are CD4 independent, but CD4 is required eventually mechanism is unclear but maybe… CD40/CD40L binding CD4 effect on APC’s “Cross Priming” – if APC’s are not directly infected
More Less

Related notes for BLG 307

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.