BMS 150 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Polymerase Chain Reaction, Dna Ligase, Dna Replication

72 views2 pages

Document Summary

Recall: dna has a sugar-phosphate backbone and complementary base pair rungs (adenine and thymine, guanine and cytosine), and a missing oxygen on the second carbon of the sugar (deoxyribose) Polymerases add nucleotides on the 31 oh group (cid:894)(cid:862)addi(cid:374)g i(cid:374) the 51 31 directio(cid:374)(cid:863)(cid:895) These pieces are bonded together afterwards by dna ligase. Repair mechanisms work similarly: enzymes cut out the damaged sections of dna, polymerase fills in the gaps with free nucleotides, ligase bonds the new pieces in with the old. O(cid:373)e viruses heighte(cid:374) o(cid:374)e"s risk of ca(cid:374)cer. Epstein-barr virus, hepatitis b, human herpes virus 8, human papillomavirus. Herpes can lead to hiv, then aids immunosuppressing disease, can develop into kaposi. How: virus i(cid:374)serts it"s ge(cid:374)es i(cid:374)to a cell"s ge(cid:374)o(cid:373)e at a ra(cid:374)do(cid:373) poi(cid:374)t may activate/deactivate genes, cell creates viruses, virus"s ge(cid:374)es are e(cid:454)cised, virus may leave or take sections of dna, leftover/missing dna can cause cancer. Heat is raised to unwind and separate strands of dna.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers