BMS 150 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Folliculogenesis, Granulosa Cell, Sister Chromatids

110 views2 pages

Document Summary

Meiosis i: prophase i: homologous chromosomes align in a process called synapsis to form tetrads. The two inner sister chromatids (one from each chromosome) intertwine and perfor(cid:373) (cid:862)crossi(cid:374)g o(cid:448)er(cid:863) of so(cid:373)e ge(cid:374)es: metaphase i: the homologous chromosomes align on the equator of the cell, spindle fibers attach to the centromeres. Centromere remains unbroken, sister chromatids remain together. The cell is now haploid, as it contains one form of each gene. Meiosis ii: essentially the same as mitosis, just with the haploid number of chromosomes. Meiosis ends with 4 genetically unique haploid cells. Begins with the spermatogonium, which divides by mitosis. One daughter cell stays a spermatogonium, the other becomes a primary spermatocyte. The primary spermatocyte divides by meiosis i to form secondary spermatocytes. The secondary spermatocytes divide by meiosis ii to form spermatids. Spermatids mature into sperm cells, gaining heads, bodies, and flagellum.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers