Premium

9 Pages

Department
Biology
Course Code
BLG 151
Professor
Martina Hausner

This preview shows pages 1-2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 9 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Microbiology Chapter 12: The Use of Energy in Biosynthesis 12.1 Principles Governing Biosynthesis Anabolism  Construction of cellular components from inorganic molecules and carbon source with the expenditure of stored energy – biosynthetic reactions – increasing order  Small molecules to large molecule  Energy from catabolism is used for biosynthetic pathways  Using carbon source and inorganic molecules, organisms synthesize new organelles and cells  Antibiotics inhibit anabolic pathways  A great deal of energy is needed for anabolism Anabolism – How Many Molecules Need To Be Made?  Turnover  Continual degradation/resynthesis of cellular constituents by nongrowing cells  Metabolism is carefully regulated  For rate of turnover to be balanced by rate of biosynthesis  In response to organism’s environment Principles Governing Biosynthesis  Macromolecules are synthesized from limited number of simple structural units (monomers)  Saves genetic storage capacity, biosynthetic raw material, and energy  Many enzymes do double duty  Many enzymes used for both catabolic and anabolic processes  Saves materials and energy  Catabolic and anabolic pathways are not identical as some enzymes function in only one direction Pathway Directions and Separations  To synthesize molecules efficiently, anabolic pathways must operate irreversibly in the direction of biosynthesis  Done by coupling breakdown of ATP to certain reactions in biosynthetic pathways  Drives the biosynthetic reaction to completion  Anabolic and catabolic reactions are physically separated  Located in separate compartments  Allows pathways to operate simultaneously but independently  Catabolic and anabolic pathways use different cofactors  Catabolism produces NADH (a substrate for electron transport)  NADPH used as electron donor for anabolism  Large assemblies (e.g. ribosomes) form spontaneously from macromolecules by self assembly 12.1 Precursor Metabolites: Starting Molecules for Biosynthesis Precursors Metabolites  Generation of precursor metabolites is critical step in anabolism  Carbon skeletons are used as starting substrates for biosynthetic pathways  Provide carbon skeletons as starting molecules for synthesis of monomers  Examples are intermediates of the central metabolic pathways  Most are used for the biosynthesis of amino acids  12 precursors: in chemoorgano-hetertrophs, these are produced by the central metabolic pathways. Autotrophs use CO2-fixation pathways and other pathways (e.g. gluconeogenesis) to make precursor metabolites  Carbon skeletons are used as starting substrates for biosynthetic pathways  Examples are intermediates of the central metabolic pathways  Most are used for the biosynthesis of amino acids 12.3 CO 2Fixation: Reduction and Assimilation of CO2Organic Carbon Calvin Cycle  Used by most autotrophs to fix 2O  Also called the reductive pentose phosphate cycle – reverse of pentose phosphate pathway  In eucaryotes, occurs in stroma of chloroplasts  In cyanobacteria, some nitrifying bacteria, and thiobacilli, may occur in carboxysomes  Must first convert CO t2 organic carbon before precursor metabolites can be formed  6 different CO 2fixing pathways known in microorganisms  The calvin cycle consists of 3 phases 1. The carboxylation phase 2. The reduction phase 3. The regeneration phase  During the carboxylation phase, enzyme ribulose 1,5=phosphate carboxylase/oxygenase (rubisco) adds CO t2 ribulose 1,5diphosphate, resulting in the formation of 2 molecules of 3 phosphoglycerate, which is reduced in the reduction phase to glyceraldehyde 3 phosphate  During the regeneration phase ribulose 5-phosphate is reformed so that the cycle can repeat  Three ATPs and two NADPHs are used during the incorporation of one CO 2 Summary 6CO +218ATP + 12NADPH + 12H + 12 H O + 2 + Glucose + 18ADP + 18Pi + 12NADP 12.4 Synthesis of Carbohydrates Synthesis of Sugars and Polysaccharides  Gluconeogenesis  Monosaccharides  Polysaccharides  Peptidoglycan Gluconeogenesis  Synthesis of glucose and related sugars from other precursors  Glucose, fructose, and mannose are gluconeogenic intermediates or made directly from them  Galactose synthesized with nucleoside diphosphate derivatives  Bacteria and algae synthesize glycogen and starch from adenosine diphosphate glucose  Functional reversal of glycolysis, but the two pathways are not identical  7 enzymes shared  4 enzymes are unique to gluconeogenesis Synthesis of Sugars  Gluconeogenesis is the production of glucose and related sugars from nonsugar precursors  Gluconeogenesis synthesizes fructose 6-phosphate, glucose 6 phosphate, and glucose. Once these sugars have been formed, other common sugars can be manufactured  Shares 7 of its steps with the Embden-Meyerhoff pathway – just the reverse  Four reactions are unique to this pathways 1. glucose 6-phosphatase 2. fructose bisphosphatase 3. phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase 4. pyruvate carboxylase Synthesis of Monosaccharides  several sugars are synthesized while attached to a nucleoside diphosphate such as uridine diphosphate glucose (UDPG) Synthesis of Polysaccharides  Polysaccharides are important structural components of cells (cell walls, storage compounds) and are biosynthesized from activated forms of their monomers (six-carbon sugars – hexoses, five-carbon sugars – pentoses – ribose, deoxyribose – RNA, DNA)  Synthesis of polysaccharides often involves nucleoside diphosphate  Example: during glycogen and starch synthesis in bacteria and protists, adenosine diphosphate glucose (ADP-glucose) is formed from glucose 1-phosphate and ATP. ATP + glucose 1-P  ADP-glucose + PPi It then donates glucose to the end of growing glycogen and starch chains (glucose)n+ ADP-glucose  (glucose) n+1 ADP Synthesis of Peptidoglycan Occurs in the Cytoplasm, at the Plasma Membrane, and in the Periplasmic Space  Large molecule made of chains of alternating
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only pages 1-2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit